So most of you who watch me probably already know about this guy.
And so far he is........less interesting as a character than I intended.
I made him not only because I wanted to design a Native American-inspired pony, but I was trying to think of the kind of guy that would be a good "special somepony" for Fluttershy. (Which yeah, I think a lot of writers will tell ya that that's a bad thing to base a character creation on.
Whoops.) I mean, he's still my baby and I still love him, but so far I can just tell you this about him.
- He's an ornothologist
- He's a wanderer, and never stays in the same place for long. Therefore, he's resourceful and makes his living off the land.
- He has an osprey that is his companion, but not his pet as she is still wild and not with him at all times.
- His family is alive and well, still at his home Native Equestrian tribe in the mountains. (Apparently this is a bonus in not making him a Gary-Stu.
- He's quiet and not quick-to-anger.
- He's awesome with birds, but doesn't really have a hope with handling other animals. In fact, he kinda gets scared if things start to get out of hand with them.
I'm inclined to think that he can handle himself and stand up for Flutters if she needs it, but at the same time I'm wondering if that would only hurt things. This character just doesn't feel right so far. But again, at the same time, I don't think Fluttershy would fall in love with someone with that extreme of a personality. I'd think she would like someone like her, quiet and gentle and sweet. I've heard some people complain that she herself is a Mary Sue, and I can see where they're coming from, but I think she has just enough of an endearing quality to her that it doesn't really become a problem.
So, my fellow pony-writers........ Any advice? XD I don't think it's impossible to make a good love interest - in fact making one for Flutters is a good challenge. What say you?